Thursday, January 12, 2017

Detox Green Juice

































Already cheating on your new diet? I know I have. Shake Shack tasted great yesterday, but my body is craving something nutritious. Here's my detoxifying green juice recipe that actually tastes great (the kids love it, too, even my picky eater!). I will usually send a bottle of this juice with my husband to work for a great mid-morning energy boost since eating healthy at work can be very difficult. 

This juice is full of healthy greens like baby kale which is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium. I try to use baby kale in my juices because it tends to be less "grassy" tasting and you get all the same health benefits of the larger varieties. 

My green juice also has lots of ginger which aids in digestion and absorption of nutrients in the intestines. If this is your first time juicing ginger use only a small thumb-size piece as it can overwhelm the juice and make it very spicy. If you are like me and love ginger, you can add even more than the recipe calls for. 

If you don't have a special juicer like the Omega juicer I use, you can easily use a blender and fine mesh strainer to strain out the larger pulp. Another cheaper alternative to a heavy, duty masticating juicer like the Omega is a centrifugal juicer, which like the name suggests spins the juice out of the fruits and vegetables. If you are new to juicing, try the blender technique first, but I guarantee you will be hooked and your body will be craving yummy, nutritious juice all the time. 

I love juicing and my body loves it too! When I drink this healthy, detoxifying juice I can feel my body soaking it up. I get a quick energy boost and cravings for sweets and junk food diminish. 

This recipe makes enough for 4 medium servings or 2 large servings and it stores in the fridge for 2-3 days. 

Detox Green Juice
Ingredients:
3 small cucumbers or 1 large English cucumber, diced
2 granny smith apples, diced
6 cups baby kale leaves, lightly packed
1 2-inch piece ginger
2 lemons, peeled

Process all ingredients through the juicer (or blend in a blender on high for 1 minute then strain through a fine mesh sieve). If using a juicer, save half an apple for the end to push all of the kale leaves through the grinder. 

Pour into a glasses and enjoy or store in a large pitcher in the fridge for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment